Saturday, March 10, 2012

Kuau, Kanaha, and 40 knots

I rigged up to sail Kuau yesterday without really paying much attention to the size of the waves....Diego was amped about going out so I just rigged up because he was saying how good it was. He got on the water before me and at that point I realised just how big the sets were as he pulled into a bottom turn and the lip of the wave was curling over his mast. At this point I already had my 4.2 rigged and thought I may as well give it a go. What’s the worst that’s going to happen? Swim down to Travares? When I got out there I realised I may have been a little out of my depth. But it was so much fun and I managed to avoid getting trashed. After a few runs the wind cranked up until I couldn’t hold on anymore. When it got to the stage that I couldn’t top turn anymore I decided to call it quits. Scary, adrenaline fuelled but amazing quick session. I’m glad I didn’t think too much about going out before hand otherwise I never would have gone! Then I decided I needed a more relaxing sail so cruised down to Kanaha and had so much fun. The waves were logo high and breaking really nicely. Unfortunately the wind died after an hour and a half but all in all an awesome day. Today the wind was firing and gusting 40 knots from the start, so I went down to Kanaha and rigged a 3.6. I was so overpowered that I could barely sail in a straight line......not the best but still fun being on the water. Hopefully the wind will back off a little for tomorrow. Happy days!

No comments: